Cheese, Bacon and Mushroom Omelette Cakes
- Prep Time: 10
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- 150 g mushrooms of choice, sliced
- butter or rapeseed oil for frying
- 1/2 tsp salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp onion, finely chopped
- 12 eggs, preferably free range and organic
- 150 g of grated or cubed cheese of choice
- bacon or ham lardons
- 225 mls plain whole milk yogurt or creme fraiche
- 1/2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- dash of ground nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- Grease a muffin tin with a little butter or rapeseed oil. Cook the mushrooms and season. Add the onion and lardons, cooking for a minute or so. Put the mushrooms, lardons and onion to one side.
- Meanwhile, break the eggs into a large bowl. Add salt and a sprinkle of freshly ground pepper. Add the cheese, yogurt, thyme, and nutmeg. Stir to combine, then add in the mushrooms, lardons and onion, and incorporate well. Sprinkle a little more cheese o top if desired.
- Pour into the greased muffin tray, and cook in a 190 degree oven until just set. This varies between different ovens and muffin trays, but around 15 minutes. Check at 12 minutes.
- When cooked, enjoy hot on buttered wholemeal English muffin halves, or any carb wholegrain source of your choice.
- Extra cakes can be served with salad as a lunch, or eaten as a snack.