This is a lovely, indulgent meal when you have a bit more time, and want to produce an impressive supper with healthy credentials. It doesn’t get healthier than kale and mushrooms. Kale is one of the most nutritious greens, and the humble mushroom has been shown to be a veritable supercharged superfood with recent research showing a significant reduction in cancer risk across the board for those eating mushrooms regularly.
As one of the few food sources of vitamin D, mushrooms help fight anxiety and mood disorders, and support immune health as well as prevent cancer, and when allied to the synergistic nutrients in kale, you have a real dynamic duo here. Worth the stirring!Print
Mushroom and Kale Risotto
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes approximately
- Total Time: 32 minute
- Cuisine: Italian
- rapeseed oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 250g mixed mushrooms of your choice, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and chopped
- 100g kale, chopped
- 225g risotto rice
- 900 ml stock
- 50g hazelnuts, toasted
- 4 tbsp half fat creme fraiche
- Parmesan, if desired
- Sea/Himalayan salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a pan and add the onion, cooking until soft. Add the mushrooms, garlic and kale and cook for 2-3 minutes until soft. Add the rice and cook for 1 minute, then season the mixture. Go easy on the salt if using parmesan as this is salty.
- Add 300 ml of the stock to the pan, and cook, stirring until absorbed. Add the rest of the stock in two more batches, stirring until absorbed and the rice has the desired bite and consistency. Stir in the nuts and creme fraiche. Serve, with parmesan shaved over the top if desired.