Rice and broccoli might look a bit boring, but don’t skim past yet! The fibre in rice is an obvious benefit, but did you know that rice, especially organic brown rice, is a good source of the B6 required for promoting weight loss and has some protein too? Rice salads are incredibly versatile, and even better, can be hot or cold. The ingredients you choose to add are what make this salad interesting, and boost the health benefits.
Here it’s almonds for protein, healthy fats and texture, apples for vitamin C, juiciness and flavour, and a punchy anti-inflammatory, antioxidant-rich pomegranate dressing. You can add those and more, or swap whatever you want. Nuts and seeds will all add protein and healthy fats, fruit like pears and pomegranate seeds add the same juiciness and vitamin C as apple, and veg like peppers and tomatoes will give yet another level of colour, nutrients, taste and texture. Basil can be replaced or combined with mint, coriander or parsley. Go crazy and turn boring into banging!Print
Rice and Broccoli Salad with Pomegranate Dressing
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Diet: Vegan
- 500g/3 cups cooked brown rice, cooled to room temperature
- 1 apple, cored and diced
- 2 heads broccoli, cut into florets
- 75g/1/2 cup almond slices, toasted
- plus any other veg you choose
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- pomegranate juice (pure rather than juice drink)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Cook brown rice according to package instructions and cool to room temperature.
- Steam broccoli florets until tender and bright green, about 3 minutes. Transfer the broccoli to a colander and run under cold water until it stops cooking. Set aside.
- Cook or chop any other veg and fruit you want to use.
- To make dressing, whisk together all ingredients in a small bowl. In a large bowl, toss brown rice, broccoli, diced apples, other veg of your choice, and dressing. Before serving sprinkle salad with toasted almond slices.