Chicken and Broccoli Pie
- Prep Time: 35
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
For the chicken and vegetables
- 500ml chicken stock
- 950g chicken breasts
- 500g baby onions
- 500g purple sprouting broccoli
- 50g butter
- 225g button mushrooms
- 350g mascarpone
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 lemons, grated zest
- 1/2 tsp salt and pepper
For the pastry crust (optional)
- 225g ready-made puff pastry
- 1 egg, for the glaze, beaten with a pinch of salt
- 900g green cabbage
- 1 tbsp olive oil, approximate quantity
- 225g dry-cured smoked streaky bacon, cut into 3cm lardons
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp onion seeds
- mashed potato
- Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6 and place a baking sheet on the middle rack. Heat the water in a saucepan and when boiling, add the chicken breasts. Turn the heat down and simmer the chicken for 15-20 minutes, or until cooked all the way through. Cool slightly before cutting into large chunks. Pop the baby onions into a bowl of boiling water and leave for a minute. This makes them easier to peel. Take off the skins, but leave the root intact. Steam the broccoli and cut into small florets; set aside. Melt the butter and fry the onions for about 5 minutes, until just beginning to colour. Remove from the pan and transfer to a bowl. Tip the mushrooms into the same pan and cook gently for a few minutes, until softened.
- Beat the mascarpone cheese until smooth and add any leftover liquid from the onions and mushrooms. Stir in the egg, followed by the parsley and lemon zest. Add the broccoli, onions, mushrooms and chicken, and season with salt and pepper. Spoon the mixture into a 1.4 litre pie dish. If you have a pie funnel, push it down into the middle of the filling – this will help support the pastry and prevent it from going soggy as it bakes.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and trim to an oval about 5cm larger than the pie dish. Cut off a 3cm border from around the oval shape and lay it on the edge of the pie dish. Brush the rim with the egg glaze. Place the pastry oval on top and press down firmly on the edges. Decorate the top with pastry trimmings and make a slit on top of the funnel so that the funnel shows through the pastry. Glaze the pastry with beaten egg and for 30 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown.
- For the cabbage and bacon; cut the cabbage into bite-sized chunks. Heat the olive oil in a wok and fry the bacon until golden brown before removing from the pan. Add a little more oil and fry the garlic and onion seeds for a minute. Tip in the cabbage and briskly fry for about 5-7 minutes, adding 2 tablespoons of water if it looks like drying out. Return the bacon to the softened cabbage and stir to heat through. Serve the pie with mashed potato and stir-fried cabbage and bacon.
- This can be eaten as a supreme-style casserole instead of a pie, with leftovers eaten cold or made into individual pies/pasties.