For those of us lucky enough to live in the South West of the UK, it plays a surprising role in our life expectancy – we have the highest life expectancy in the country! Very good news for me and my fellow Devonians and Cornish piskies, but what about tips for us all to live a longer life?
Other tips for living happily to a ripe old age include:
1. Unsurprisingly, eat a diet rich in fruit and veg, adding three years to life expectancy.
2. Sunbathe occasionally – a little UV exposure kickstarts the body’s repair processes, and of course helps us manufacture vitamin D.
3. Train your brain – doing puzzles, learning languages or mastering new skills keeps Alzheimer’s and other degenerative brain diseases at bay.
4. Be adventurous – taking up new activities or indulging the travel bug provide happy memories and produce a sense of fulfilment.
5. Take care of your relationships, adding seven years to a man’s life and two years to a woman’s.
6. Invest in your health and wellbeing – prevent rather than cure, and listen to your body. Take responsibility, take control, and take professional advice/help when you’re concerned about something. Often our intuitions have some basis, and those who trust their instincts about their health live longer.
See you all here in the South West, at the beach, with your fruit and veg picnics, sudoku books and abseiling gear, family and friends in tow, and appointment made to sort out that issue that’s been tugging at the sleeve of your mind…..
Happy days! Lots of them.